Has your business outgrown your IT support? Here are 17 clues to help you decide if it’s time to make a change in who is handling the IT at your growing business.
Answer these questions to determine if your current IT provider is up to the task:
- Is it hard to reach your IT support person on the first call? Does it take a while for him to call you back? Has he ever told you there are other clients ahead of you who have more pressing problems?
- When you call with a question, does he need to spend time researching the problem?
- Has your company hired new employees who need desktops, laptops, or mobile devices? How smoothly does he handle the purchase and installation of equipment?
- Does your IT support person proactively recommend new technologies that could help your business? Or, do you have to bring new ideas to him?
- Is your IT a “patchwork” of hardware and software that has built up over time without a defined strategy?
- Do you have an IT planning roadmap to make sure that every dollar spent today is working toward the longer-term success of your business?
- Is your business subject to IT compliance regulations? Are you confident your IT is compliant?
- Do you have a current inventory of all your technology equipment and a life-cycle plan for replacement?
- Do you have a network diagram?
- Does he coordinate work with your other vendors, like Internet and application support, or are you stuck in the middle?
- Do you receive regular patch maintenance as a service?
- Do you have managed and regularly-updated anti-virus and anti-malware?
- Are you reminded when it’s time to renew subscriptions that occur annually, such as backup or firewall updates, or do you keep track of those yourself?
- Who manages your backup? Do you receive regular updates to confirm the backup is running as it should?
- Has your IT support person evaluated how to make your network more secure, including encryption options?
- Is there a plan in place to dispose of your old computers and securely destruct the data on old hard drives?
- What happens when he goes on vacation?
If you’re unsatisfied with your answers and you need help handling IT in your growing business, contact CRU Solutions.